Friday, August 31, 2007

Started Saturday Off .....................



by having breakfast at my brother's house.......my sister-in-law was gracious enough to whip up some biscuits and country gravy for me....Becky and I both gained about 3 pounds from the breakfast. I wanted to stop at the Sac and Fox Museum in Reserve, KS and we realized that it would be closed for Labor Day so Auntie Sue made a phone call to see if it was open today.......it was so "B" and I hopped in the car to make the 90 mile run to my old home town and surrounding area. I printed out some geocaches to find since we had not cached in Nebraska yet and we took them along. First stop was the museum where Becky took a bunch of pictures. In the middle picture, which was taken in 1939, was the Tribal Council, my Grandfather is the man seated on the extreme left. Next picture was the Tribal Council at a later date, my Mother is the lady seated on the left. Sixth picture shows the area of Illinois (orange colored section) that was once owned by the Sac and Fox Tribe. Not a bad hunk of property huh? I faintly remember receiving a check back in the early 70s for about $3,000.00. This was my share of the payment that old Uncle Sugar finally awarded my tribe for lands that were taken. At that time tribal enrollment numbered about 300. That means the government paid us $300,000.00 for about half of the state of Illinois. It was probably more but that was the approximate amount left after the lawyers got their share. (I guess that was a better deal then the pay off for Manhatten Island!)

A short ways away we found our first Nebraska Cache. Some more pics of our day follow.

No comments: