Monday, January 31, 2011

We Survived the Roughneck Rendezvous #2........

at Ocotillo Wells Off Road recreation area.............but just barely. I gotta get some decent suspension for Rhino.........or order a 2011 Polaris RZR. Unfortunately, they're a little pricey, right now the dealer is getting a thousand to fifteen hundered dollars over the suggested retail price. If they can get it they certainly will.

Friday Robert arrived in the morning and after setting up his rig we headed South of Ocotillo Wells to do a little "warm up" caching. Another friend, Frank, went with us as we took the Jeep. We found that it will do pretty well on the off-road trails. We found some areas nearly as rough as the Picacho area we did a week or two ago and the Jeep handled it all without complaint. My only complaint is the lousy gas mileage. When we got home and filled up with gas it turned out to be 16.9 average. And that's with Becky driving behind me at about 58/59 mph. Of course it included some 4x4 running also. Oh well, if you wanna play I guesses you gotta pay.

Char arrived with JJ's RZR about 1830, she made good time from Yuma and we had a great steak dinner. "B" and I stopped at the Costco in El Centro and picked up some ribeyes...........I think their meat is better than Sam's Club. Anyway JJ cooked them up for us...........I don't know what his secret is; but, he can turn a steak out to perfection. I watched him give them a bit of seasoning and then cook them up. Of course he also prepared a mushroom/onion sauce that was outta this world and that really topped off the ribeyes. I gotta pay more attention to his methods; but, that probably won't work as everyone knows you can follow a receipe but it's never the same as the original.

The Event was nice, a little different format than last year.........this year they placed caches in a series and you had to complete the series to receive any raffle tickets for them. Of course there were other ways to pick up some extra tickets here and there. We ended up with 60 raffle tickets and one of the event workers asked me how many "puzzles" we finished. I said "four" and he shook his head and told me we were't supposed to be able to finish that many in the time allowed. Well, we did and my poor old body is battered and bruised, forearms were cramping when we finished the run. Maybe in a few days we'll determine how much "Fun" we had!

Wind really picked up Saturday night and Sunday morning sent most of us scrambling to pack up and get out of there. We hung around for a while and then headed back to Yuma. I think we got home about 1500.

Well, I didn't take a single picture even though I had my camera with me. You'll have to check Becky's Blog for any pictures she might have taken. She'll probably update her blog in a day or so.

That's about it for the weekend...............I'll probably determine that we had "FUN" in a few more days! W&B

No comments: