Sunday, January 9, 2011

Ridge Running Today............

The "road" and under the power lines.



"ID", some more road and JJ looking for a cache


The "start", road and Larry, Wayne & Robert.



One of the "high" spots on the trail, long way down!

in the Muggins Mt. area NE of Yuma. Lots of neat jeep trails out in this area and a series of geocaches had been placed here so away we went to enjoy the scenery and increase our number count. Beautiful weather in the high 60s and almost no wind. Doesn't get much better!

We started the day out with our monthly SWAG Breakfast and after breakfast JJ, la84fishn, Beagle39z and myself loaded up the RZR and Rhino and away we went. The roads (?) were very challenging in places, lottsa big rocks, off camber trails and steep climbs were in store for us. Even had to drop in 4 whldr low a few times to traverse the rocks. Unfortunately I couldn't take pictures of the real nasty areas as I had to hold onto the steering wheel with a death grip. We managed OK and found about 40 geocaches as a bonus. I figured Larry probably crapped his pants a few times as he was riding with Robert and JJ doesn't slow down for anything! It really gets interesting when you're on a path just wide enough for one vehicle and you come over a rise and can't see anything in front, or to the sides for that matter. I don't think JJ even slows down then; but, Wayne (Beagle39) and I go quite a bit slower. As a result sometimes all we could see of JJ and Larry was cloud of dust about 1/4 mile in front of us.

We followed power lines for a good part of the route and it was really interesting when we stopped beneath the wires. You could feel the electricity when you were standing on the ground and touched the rails of the RZR and Rhino. Larry swears up and down that he received a shock the first time he did that............yeah OK. I never did.

A great caching day for us and Becky was out "shopping"...........she wasn't even home when I got there and I had left explicit instructions that she should have a late lunch/early dinner waiting when I arrived!! Some people just don't listen............maybe I'll have to send her through my "retraining" program in the near future. Later. W&B



No comments: